The Pharmacy Account Specialist is responsible for engaging pharmacy account field leaders overseeing major retail pharmacies to develop durable business in the community-based pharmacy industry for Pfizer adult and adolescent vaccines. These pharmacy field leaders have responsibility for regions/districts of stores, clinical trainers, pharmacy staff leadership, and P&L accountability.
To succeed in this role, the candidate must excel at working in both lateral and vertical organizations both within Pfizer and the customer organization. This team operates in an environment that embraces and encourages the implementation of innovative ideas and creates a culture of cooperation and teamwork.
The Pharmacy Account Specialist (PAS) will communicate effectively with executive level field pharmacy leaders, understand and support the customer’s vision for successful immunization programs, and collaborate with Pfizer stakeholders to implement opportunities to drive sales for Prevnar 13 and Trumenba with both branded and unbranded materials. To execute against new and unique immunization opportunities in a local healthcare environment, the successful candidate will engage diverse local stakeholders, combining innovative thought, entrepreneurial business acumen, and consultative account selling skills. This candidate will need to work with highly matrixed organizations at Pfizer and its customers.
This position must collaborate closely with National Pharmacy Directors (NPD), Vaccines Sales and Inside Sales Leadership to plan activities to achieve national and regional Pfizer objectives. This position will require travel to live customer interactions as well as effective use of remote engagement tools for effective follow up and group presentations.
This is a remote position. The ideal candidate should be located in the territory and near an airport.
The Pharmacy Account Specialist will collaborate with Pfizer colleagues by identifying shared objectives, aligning resources and deploying innovative solutions to achieve targeted clinical and business results. A successful Pharmacy Account Specialist will initiate and maintain relationships with field leaders within the target customers such as Vice Presidents or equivalent, Pharmacy District Managers, Clinical Directors, Field Clinical Trainers, Field Operations, and other field pharmacy leaders outside the HQ offices.
The primary role will be to educate and support decision-makers who implement chain HQ direction to immunize appropriate patients/consumers. In this role, the PAS will be responsible for generating sustained immunization with these pharmacy field leaders, by successfully aligning Pfizer resources to a customer’s proactive immunization programs, including effective implementation of HIT and workflow engagement tools. To succeed in this role, the PAS needs to be tactful, resilient, persistent and convincing to build value in these relationships and must excel at working with both lateral and vertical organizations at Pfizer and its customers. The PAS will operate in a team environment that encourages innovative ideas and a culture of collaboration and teamwork, and must be adept at creating a vision for the future, and be able to create a pathway to help optimize the customers’ adult vaccination opportunities in a compliant and engaging way.The PAS will also be responsible for crafting an approved pull-through plan to be implemented in partnership with Vaccine Sales. The candidate must be a self-starter, and able to work in ambiguous environments and create opportunities within the channel in a compliant manner.
Daily responsibilities will include traveling to customers for account management calls and coordinating virtual customer engagements, coordinating with appropriate subject matter experts, and collaborating with Pfizer colleagues to define and realize customer immunization opportunities.
The Pharmacy Account Specialist will work with the customer account targets to:
• Gain access to customer field management or field clinical, even in low access or difficult situations
• Develop a tailored account management approach to each account based on their needs, in line with aligned colleagues
• Build and maintain strong lasting relationships across key customers
• Dynamically adapt priorities and call plans in response to evolving account needs
• Manage all customer business dynamics for assigned accounts
• Conduct account management calls that employ strong pre-call planning, effective opening, presentation focus and productive questions, issue identification and effective solutions-oriented project plans
• Gain customer agreement to prioritize pneumococcal and/or meningococcal vaccination by defining burden of disease and public health goals and appropriately aligning immunization to chain priorities as defined by customer HQ.
• Identify remaining opportunity and clearly communicate strategy to communicate disease burden and risks to unvaccinated patients
• Facilitate internal sharing of chain best practices in patient identification, workflow, and counseling
• Facilitate the appropriate use of HIT and workflow engagements to improve immunization rates in pharmacy
• Work with customers to align resources and agree on working norms, approved marketing resources, and shared objectives. Use latest marketing content to address needs of customers.
• In the appropriate customer type, and with a legitimate business purpose, the VAS may engage in off-site meals
• Align with customer on execution of Pfizer pull through in collaboration with National Pharmacy Director, and field or inside sales colleagues
• Gain commitment to execute seasonal immunization programs or campaigns as defined by customer HQ and NPD.
Account coordination internally with Pfizer customer facing and marketing colleagues will be approximately 30% of the workload. Internal Activities to compliantly drive immunization programming within assigned accounts include:
• Work with NPD to understand the strategic plan for each of the target accounts, and the implications for how to prioritize accounts and implement the plan in the given territory
• Employ strong pre-account management planning, effective presentation focus and productive questions, issue identification and effective solutions-oriented project plans
• Analyze trends, competition, past customer interactions, and other market data to maximize effectiveness of each account interaction
• Contribution to annual (internal) customer plans in collaboration with NPD
• Execution and insight gathering for projects and pilots
• Coordinate pull through initiatives with Inside Sales and PHRs
• Design, gain internal alignment and approval for and present Seasonal and
Regional Immunization Opportunities to internal leadership, and then to customers for alignment
- Local immunization events
- Flu season educational campaign execution
- Back to School educational campaign execution
- Work closely with internal cross-functional teams to bring relevant skills to provide customer solutions
- Prepare for, attend, and actively participate in all required sales conferences (i.e. POA) as appropriate, and training classes at local and/or remote locations
- Coordination with PHRs and ISRs to gain feedback on barriers and best practice
- Establish effective feedback loop with NPD and with customer field leaders
The Pharmacy Account Specialist will need to be highly motivated and team-oriented. Travel may be extensive with this role and customer face-time is critical to the success of this role. The candidate should expect to meet with their priority customers live 4-6 times per year and virtually 2 times per month. Customer interactions will also include promotional Exhibit booth support for annual customer meetings and exhibits which enable interaction with the customers’ critical healthcare providers and business decision makers.
This position is an individual contributor, however, will be accountable for collaborative matrix leadership of other customer facing colleagues with respect to regional or national channel accounts and must model compliance and integrity at all times.
• BA/BS Degree from an accredited institution
• 5+ Years’ Experience – combination of sales and marketing in pharmaceuticals or related industries
• Valid US driver’s license and a driving record in compliance with company standards
• Sales Experience with Organized Customers, including experience working with executive management
• Proven track record of successful team-based selling in new and undefined environment
• Demonstrated success working in matrix environment, leading through influence and orchestrated customer interactions across multiple teams in different organizational structures
• Demonstrated success in problem solving and entering new markets in a structured organization
• Must be perceptive in assessing opportunities and probability of success.
• Must be able to convince customers to dedicate resources necessary to successfully implement vaccine programs.
• Must be able to demonstrate consultative account management skills and high degree of business acumen
• Must be proficient in executive level customer account engagement presentations. Account engagement presentations will often be directed at high levels of organized customers and will require excellent executive presence.
• Successful candidate possesses the ability to challenge both Pfizer and the customer to think beyond current boundaries and create new opportunities for vaccines.
• Ability to travel domestically and stay overnight as necessary. Frequent overnight travel may be necessary in most territory locations.
• Live within 50 miles of territory HQ city or designated center of business.
• Analytical thinking to set an aspiration for the future, quickly gather key insights about the customer, assess customers’ needs and offer a targeted solutions
• Demonstrated agility in identifying and responding to evolving customer needs and prioritization
• Exceptional aptitude for learning and communicating technical and scientific product and disease management information to customers
• Excellent communication skills to convincingly explain public health argument and clinical value proposition of the vaccines to target customers, and to influence the products’ acceptance within the customer organization
• Excellent interpersonal skills to quickly cultivate and build lasting relationships with mid-level account managers in large complex institutions
• Ability to work independently and manage time effectively and independently
• Proficiency in using sales data/call reporting software/applications
• Strong organizational skills to manage call plan, prepare in advance, and to generate structured notes on follow ups required
• Strong collaborative mindset and ability to work across vaccine customer facing teams
Last day to apply - Jan 28, 2021
Eligible for employee referral bonus: Yes
Eligible for relocation assistance: Yes
Additional Geographic Details: Can be located in any South East metro area: NC, SC, GA, FL - Tampa Florida is ideal.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.