Patient Service Representative
Patient Svc Rep NCH ACO
Weekend: None / Not Applicable
Essential Job Accountabilities:
The Patient Service Representative (PSR) position provides a vital link in the chain of quality of care. The PSR supports the department, communicating and scheduling appointments and physician orders, serving as a first point of contact for patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Triage incoming calls and route them appropriately utilizing good customer skills. Demonstrates knowledge of phone system with ability to use call forward, transfer, voice mail, etc.
- Obtained required personal information necessary to identify all new and existing patients and the correct demographic and preliminary financial information to enable the creation f new patient medical records and the pre-processing of required authorizations / pre-certifications before the appointed visit.
- Prioritize all insurance coverage – primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. Enter properly into demographic record.
- Accurately identifies patients using appropriate search methods (DOB, SSN) to identify.
- Assists with obtaining eligibility status and authorizations.
- Copies/scans insurance cards and patient identification correctly into patient EMR.
- Verifies patient information on file is accurate and updated following system policy. Updates patient data when appropriate. Understands when to correct data or create new file.
- Verify patient registration profiles each time patient comes for a visit. Edit patient registration profiles when necessary.
- Obtain all consents for treatment, including forms for the release of medical information and patients acceptable of financial responsibility for all services rendered, when applicable.
- Completes required Medicare questionnaires (ABN forms) for appropriate patients and tests under Medicare guidelines.
- Accurately and completely processes physician referrals and orders into the radiology information system.
- Maintains patient clinical forms and scans into medical record.
- Ensures respective patient medical record information and all collected forms are scanned into the RIS or PACS as appropriate.
- Schedule appointments when requested.
- Announce scheduled and non-scheduled patients to clinical staff.
- Confirm and remind patients of scheduled appointments in accordance with radiology procedures.
- Give patients standardized preliminary clinical instructions and directions in preparation for a scheduled visit as needed.
- Collection and deposit of patient payments according to protocol.
- Monitor patient waiting time and relay information regarding delays to patients and family members.
- Ensure benefit and eligibility has been verified for all scheduled patients.
- Accurately enter charges for all services performed when required.
- Accurately enter payment information for each payment collected.
- Produces appropriate reports to reconcile charges and payments with daily schedule.
- Prepares daily close report following appropriate protocol.
- Fields questions by both physicians and patients regarding codes, charges, etc. PSR understands when questions require further explanation by Manager or Biller.
Education, Experience, Qualifications:
- High School or GED required.
- 1 year of customer service experience preferred.
- Microsoft excel experience preferred.