Essential Job Accountabilities:
The Patient Registrar is responsible for obtaining and accurately entering into the computer system updated and accurate demographics and insurance information with proper coding along with receiving required documentation from the patient. The Patient Registrar is responsible to perform the registration function for patients entering the health care system through inpatient, outpatient, or the emergency department. Secures all information necessary for patient and third party claims processing including but not limited to verifying benefits or obtaining authorization. Explains policies, secures signatures and all other key information needed to complete billing and account resolution functions. The Patient Registrar is responsible for completing and reviewing financial information, collecting deposits or co-pays and co-insurance amounts from patients. The Patient Registrar may be asked to perform various duties to complete the patient registration including but not limited to, pre-authorization services, LMRP verifications, Medicare verification, return mail corrections, receptionist duties and daily reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes all required registration/billing information accurately and timely in host system either bedside or at designated registration location.
- Prepares ID armband, barcode label sheets and obtains all applicable signatures as needed for registration.
- Proficient in the use of the Patient Accounting Registration software, scanning process, phone system, maintains accuracy requirements.
- Works with bed utilization to move patients to a unit providing/arranging transport.
- Trains and assists new employees in coordination with the Revenue Cycle Trainer protocol.
- Completes all required insurance verification, LMRP and confirms authorizations is obtained using all applicable tools.
- Performs review of the registration for indicators from the Financial Counselors to ensure all documentation for resolution are complete prior to releasing patient for services.
- Assists the patient to complete financial information, review patient’s ability to pay requests payments of deposit, deductible or co-pay or refers patient to eligibility vendor or Financial Counselor when applicable.
- Documenting payments received, applying correct codes in cash posting journal in compliance with GL numbers, balancing daily journals and or cash bank.
- Reviews accuracy of registration correcting errors before end of shift. Accuracy includes but not limited to reviewing patient demographics, financial class selection, system codes ensuring, documenting appropriately in the patient account notes, assuring accuracy of info obtained. Meets or exceeds the departments pre-determined productivity standards.
- Maintains the knowledge to answers patients questions regarding the Patient Bill or Rights, Medicare Bill or Rights, HIPAA, ABN and other PFS related questions.
- Transfers patients within the patient accounting system according to established procedure.
Education, Experience, Qualifications:
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience preferred.
- Must be able to prioritize and work independently.
- Good customer services and communication skills.